The Renaissance Faire at Sleepy Hollow has a few policies about what you may and may not bring on the festival grounds. Please review those listed below to be sure you don’t break important rules without realizing it. Thank you!
Policy will be determined by conditions at the time. At this time, masks are no longer required, however, if you are not vaccinated or your health is compromised, please consider wearing a mask.
- Pets are welcome at the Renaissance Faire at Sleepy Hollow! Please limit one animal companion per person.
- Pet owners are required to clean up after their pets and dispose of waste in the designated receptacles.
- All animals must have proof of rabies vaccinations within 3yrs (tags are sufficient).
- All pets must be leashed and under complete control at all times.
- Leashes may not exceed 4 ft.
- Aggressive behavior will not be tolerated.
- Pet owners are required to report any accident to the Fair Management personnel immediately.
- The Renaissance Faire officials retain the right to refuse entrance to any pet considered dangerous or potentially dangerous.
- Each pet owner must sign a hold harmless agreement, releasing the Renaissance Faire and the cities of Des Moines and Pleasant Hill for pet owner’s negligence.
- If the pet owner fails to adhere to the aforementioned rules he/she may be requested to leave the Faire grounds without a refund.
- All patrons must be at least 18 years to carry a weapon on site.
- Firearms and replica firearms are expressly forbidden on site.
- Weapons may NOT be drawn at any time. If a weapon is drawn, the patron is subject to (but not limited to) loss of weapon, removal from the Renaissance Faire property and possible prosecution by the City of Des Moines.
- If a patron wishes to use a weapon for a special event (such as a wedding) this must be cleared in advance with the Renaissance Faire officials including Sleepy Hollow President, Rick Flatt.
- These policies apply to anyone carrying a weapon in with them or anyone purchasing a weapon while at the Faire.
- Restricted Allowances (weapons of all types must be completely sheathed and peace-tied at all times and may not be accessible to the public):
- Swords, Knives, Dirks & Daggers – These weapons must be completely sheathed and peace-tied and may not be accessible to the public.
- Axes, Claymores & Maces are strongly discouraged.
- Claymores and Maces must be peace-tied to your person (strapped to your back, tied to your belt, etc).
- Bow & Arrows – Bows must be unstrung and arrows tied to the quiver unless approved for use at the archery range. Bows and arrows must be returned to the unstrung and tied position before leaving the archery range.
- Antique Firearms (guns)
- Firearm replicas (toy guns)
- Real Firearms including black powder weapons.
- Pikes and Halberds
Definitions of Weaponry
- Sheath – a protective covering, usually of thick leather that protects the edge of the blade, the wearer and anyone near the weapon from damage. The sheath must cover the entire blade, not just the tip.
- Peace-tied – the method of securing a weapon to the sheath, belt or body of the wearer. If the weapon is not peace-tied upon arrival at the Faire a front gate worker must peace-tie it for you.
Alcohol may not be brought onto the premises but may be purchased at the Faire.
Shirt and shoes are required for all guests at all times. Dressing in Renaissance garb is not required, but is certainly allowed (and even encouraged)!
Parking & Personal Items
Our parking fee covers patrolled parking, staffed by Sleepy Hollow personnel. However, we are not responsible for any lost or stolen items left in your car or brought in to the event. If personal items are lost on the Faire Grounds you can visit the front gate before you leave in case they were turned in, Or you can call Sleepy Hollow at (515) 262-4100 and the staff will do their best to find it.