The Renaissance Faire at Sleepy Hollow has a few policies about what you may and may not bring on the festival grounds. Please review those listed below to be sure you don’t break important rules without realizing it. Thank you!
Hear Ye, Hear Ye!
The foul plague, Covid-19, is upon us.
Follow these measures to retain thy health. Sleepy Hollow is implementing all standard CDC and Iowa guidelines and recommendations to ensure everyone’s health. Fortunately, the Renaissance Park covers 16 acres, so there is plenty of room to spread out! Sleepy Hollow will:
- Post signage and rules for everyone’s safety.
- Frequently sanitize high-touch areas.
- Use PPE for employees where required.
- Screen employees daily prior to opening.
- Provide staff to remind guests of the need to socially distance.
- Open 1 hour earlier (10:00AM) to spread out admission and attendance.
- Provide socially distanced seating.
- Install personal barriers at the food stands.
Health Notes: If you feel sick or have been exposed to anyone testing positive for Covid-19, please stay home! We know you don’t want to miss the fun, but there is always next year. If you are a high-risk individual, don’t risk your health. Even with our best attempts to social distance, our guests may not always follow recommendations or signage the whole time they are here. We would rather you remain healthy and come back another time.
Social Distancing: Accompany and closely supervise children to help ensure proper distancing. If you like, bring a picnic blanket for kids to sit to the side at shows, and feel free to bring a lawn chair for yourself to ensure distancing.
Sanitizer: You are welcome to bring your own hand sanitizer. We will provide it in multiple locations around the park should you forget or need more. And yes, you may use it after eating a turkey drumstick just to clean your hands.
Masks: Masks are strongly recommended but not required as this is an outdoor event. However, all event staff interacting with guests will wear masks.
Entertainers: If you want to send a signal to performers that you would like them to keep their distance, please wear a mask. As much as our entertainers want to interact with the guests, they will respect that sign and keep their distance. Likewise, if performers are wearing a mask, please keep your distance as well. Remember that this is a work environment for them and their income depends on staying healthy.
Faire Food: Food booths will have personal barriers much like the grocery store, and we will social distance the lines. Consider eating early or later to limit contact.
Merchants: Shops are independent businesses and will decide on their own rules based on CDC and Iowa guidelines and their personal concerns. Our merchants are concerned about your safety too and will be respectful of your wishes while welcoming you to their shop. Most are implementing safety guidelines, such as limiting the number of people in a shop, creating a separate entrance and exit when possible, and sanitizing items touched but not purchased. Some, with their own compromised immune systems, may require patrons to wear masks while in their shop.
In advance, thank you for your cooperation and respect. Together we can have responsible and socially distanced fun. Huzzah!
- Pets are welcome at the Renaissance Faire at Sleepy Hollow! Please limit one animal companion per person.
- Pet owners are required to clean up after their pets and dispose of waste in the designated receptacles.
- All animals must have proof of rabies vaccinations within 3yrs (tags are sufficient).
- All pets must be leashed and under complete control at all times.
- Leashes may not exceed 4 ft.
- Aggressive behavior will not be tolerated.
- Pet owners are required to report any accident to the Fair Management personnel immediately.
- The Renaissance Faire officials retain the right to refuse entrance to any pet considered dangerous or potentially dangerous.
- Each pet owner must sign a hold harmless agreement, releasing the Renaissance Faire and the cities of Des Moines and Pleasant Hill for pet owner’s negligence.
- If the pet owner fails to adhere to the aforementioned rules he/she may be requested to leave the Faire grounds without a refund.
- All patrons must be at least 18 years to carry a weapon on site.
- Weapons may NOT be drawn at any time. If a weapon is drawn, the patron is subject to (but not limited to) loss of weapon, removal from the Renaissance Faire property and possible prosecution by the City of Des Moines.
- If a patron wishes to use a weapon for a special event (such as a wedding) this must be cleared in advance with the Renaissance Faire officials including Sleepy Hollow President, Rick Flatt.
- These policies apply to anyone carrying a weapon in with them or anyone purchasing a weapon while at the Faire.
- Restricted Allowances (weapons of all types must be completely sheathed and peace-tied at all times and may not be accessible to the public):
- Swords, Knives, Dirks & Daggers – These weapons must be completely sheathed and peace-tied and may not be accessible to the public.
- Axes, Claymores & Maces are strongly discouraged.
- Claymores and Maces must be peace-tied to your person (strapped to your back, tied to your belt, etc).
- Bow & Arrows – Bows must be unstrung and arrows tied to the quiver unless approved for use at the archery range.
- Antique Firearms (guns)
- Firearm replicas (toy guns)
- Pikes and Halberds
Definitions of Weaponry
- Sheath – a protective covering, usually of thick leather that protects the edge of the blade, the wearer and anyone near the weapon from damage. The sheath must cover the entire blade, not just the tip.
- Peace-tied – the method of securing a weapon to the sheath, belt or body of the wearer. If the weapon is not peace-tied upon arrival at the Faire a front gate worker must peace-tie it for you.
Alcohol may not be brought onto the premises but may be purchased at the Faire.
Shirt and shoes are required for all guests at all times. Dressing in Renaissance garb is not required, but is certainly allowed (and even encouraged)!
Parking & Personal Items
Our parking fee covers patrolled parking, staffed by Sleepy Hollow personnel. However, we are not responsible for any lost or stolen items left in your car or brought in to the event. If personal items are lost on the Faire Grounds you can visit the front gate before you leave in case they were turned in, Or you can call Sleepy Hollow at (515) 262-4100 and the staff will do their best to find it.